1. Registration Period - The registartion period for the Ohio Stock Market Challenge begins on January 14, 2019 and ends March 4, 2019. The Econ Ed Centers and its affiliated Centers reserve the right to limit or turn off registration as it deems necessary.
2. Trading Period – There is one trading period beginning at the market's open on February 4, 2019 and ending at 4:30PM on April 12, 2019. Participants may place orders any time after the market closes on September 29, 2017 and those orders will execute at the market open. Results for any practice accounts will be set back to $100,000 after the market close on February 1, 2019.
3. Initial Cash Balance - Participants will be given an initial cash balance of US $100,000 of fictitious funds in their Ohio Stock Market Challenge account for the first trading period (the second and third trading period amounts will change) that can be used to make fictitious buy or sell transactions as described in more detail below. Limit one Ohio Stock Market Challenge account per eligible person.
4. Eligible Securities – You may buy, sell, sell short, and cover a short almost all NYSE and NASDAQ-AMEX stocks (common and preferred) that are trading at 3.00 or more. IPOs are usually available the afternoon that the new stock starts trading on the exchanges.
Mutual Funds and Bonds: You may buy and sell any of the U.S. Mutual funds and Bonds listed, regardless of the price (No 3.00 minimum price as with stocks).
All transactions can be made in whole number of shares greater than one.
There are several ways to find out whether your stock or option is on the list:
- Symbol: If you know the symbol of the security you are interested in, get a quote for that symbol. On the stock quote page, stocks that are on the Ohio Stock Market Challenge Stock List will have a trade button.
- Name: If you know the name of the security you are interested in, you can determine whether or not it is on the Ohio Stock Market Challenge Stock List.
5. Order Types and Trade Execution Stocks - Market, limit, and stop orders will be accepted. All orders are executed at the real-time bid/ask prices as provided by our data vendor when placed during market hours.
Due to exchange rules, the web page will display a delayed price estimate of the price until 15-20 minutes has elapsed. The transaction will automatically appear in the Trader's Portfolio and Transaction History.
Market orders placed while the markets are closed or before the market opens will be executed as market conditions permit shortly after the market opens. If the stock requested has not traded that day then the trade will be canceled.
Trades placed after market hours can be viewed in the Pending Orders screen. Pending orders can be canceled until 9:25 am ET on the day the trade is scheduled for execution. Pending market orders placed on halted stocks will be canceled if trading does not resume by the end of the day. Limit and stop orders may be placed as "Day" orders which are good for the day only, or as "GTC" orders, which are good until canceled.
If a participant does not have adequate cash or buying power to process a trade, then the numbers of shares will be adjusted to allow the trade to be filled as best it can.
6. Commissions - Each trade will incur a broker commission fee of $10.00 which will be subtracted from the participants Ohio Stock Market Challenge cash balance.
7. Buying on Margin - Teams Initial portfolio value is $100,000. Teams can borrow an additional $100,000 for a buying power of $200,000.
8. Splits, Dividends and other Corporate Actions - Most stock splits, dividends, and other corporate actions reported by the news wires will be accounted for after the markets have closed and prior to the next market opening. These situations may cause account values to be misrepresented until the reconciliation occurs for next open business day.
9. Trading Halts - Halted, restricted, and blocked stocks will not be available for trading. Any trade that is confirmed after trading has been halted will be reversed.
10. Cancelling Market Orders - Participants cannot cancel market orders placed during market hours.
11. Discrepancies - Participants should report any account discrepancy within one (1) week from the transaction date. StockTrak Group, Inc. will, at its sole discretion investigate and adjust any legitimate discrepancy. Discrepancies reported after one (1) week may or may not be adjusted. StockTrak Group, Inc. can be reached at the Simulation Support Services. Replies are usually within 24 hours by return email.
12. Transaction Limits - Participants may invest a maximum of twenty five (25%) percent of their initial portfolio value in any one stock. The maximum number of trades allowed for this trading period is 200.
13. Day Trading – Day trading is permitted, but remember you only have 200 trades per trading period.
14. Interest – Interest on positive cash balances in your account earns 3% and interest charged on margin loans are calculated at the rate of 8%.
15. – Teams wishing to be eligible to be declared winners must follow this rule: teams must make at least 3 trades by the 4th week.